Shifting the Center: Understanding Contemporary Families explores the issues and diversity of contemporary families, presenting balanced coverage of racial and ethnic variation and discussing a wide variety of family arrangements and processes. 25 out of the 54 selections included are new to this edition.
This convenient guide matches the units in Annual Editions: The Family 11/12 with the corresponding chapters in three of our best-selling McGraw-Hill Family textbooks by DeGenova et al., Ferguson, and Cherlin.
|Table of Contents|
* indicates new reading
I. Introduction to the Study of Families
1. Diana Gittins, "The Family in Question: What is the Family? Is It Universal?"
2. Maxine Baca Zinn, "Feminist Rethinking from Racial-Ethnic Families"
*3. Maureen Sullivan, "The Emergence of Lesbian-Coparent Families in Postmodern Society"
*4. Frank F. Furstenberg, "Values, Policy, and the Family"
II. Historical Changes and Family Variations
5. Stephanie Coontz, "Historical Perspectives on Family Diversity"
*6. Bonnie Thornton Dill, "Fictive Kin, Paper Sons, and Compradazgo"
*7. Shirley Hill, "The Politics of Theorizing Black Families: Old Debates, New Directions"
*8. Karen Pyke, "'The Normal American Family' as an Interpretive Structure of Family Life among Grown children of Korean and Vietnamese Immigrants"
*9. Rae Lesser Blumberg, "Gender, Economy, and Kinship in Complex Households among Six U.S. Ethnic Groups"
III. Courtship, Dating, and Power
10. Martin King Whyte, Choosing Mates--The American Way
*11. Laura Hamilton and Elizabeth A. Armstrong, "Gendered Sexuality in Young Adulthood: Double Binds and Flawed Options"
12. Ritch C. Savin-Williams, "Dating and Romantic Relationships Among Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youths"
*13. Monisha Pasupathi, "Arranged Marriages: What's Love Got to Do With It?"
IV. Marriage, Cohabitation, and Partnership
14. Andrew J. Cherlin, "The Deinstitutionalization of Marriage"
*15. Melanie Heath, "State of Our Unions: Marriage Promotion and the Contested Power of Heterosexuality"
*16. Naomi Gerstel and Natalia Sarkisian, "Marriage: The Good, the Bad, and the Greedy"
17. Hung Cam Thai, "Clashing Dreams: Highly Educated Overseas Brides and Low-Wage U.S. Husbands"
18. Judith A. Seltzer, "Families Formed Outside of Marriage"
*19. Irene Levin, "Living Apart Together: A New Family Form"
20. Gretchen A. Stiers, "From This Day Forward: Commitment, Marriage, and Family in Lesbian and Gay Relationships"
V. Motherhood and Fatherhood
21. Patricia Hill Collins, "Shifting the Center: Race, Class, and Feminist Theorizing about Motherhood"
22. Rachel Salazar Parrenas, "Mothering From a Distance: Emotions, Gender, and Intergenerational Relations in Filipino Transnational Families"
*23. Teresa Toguchi Swartz, "Mothering for the State: Foster Parenting and the Challenges of Government-Contracted Carework"
24. Scott Coltrane, "Fathering: Paradoxes, Contradictions, and Dilemmas"
25. Jennifer Hamer, "What It Means to Be Daddy: Fatherhood for Black Men Living Away From Their Children"
*26. Rosanna Hertz, "The Father as an Idea"
VI. Parents and Parenting, Children and Childrearing
*27. Karen V. Hansen, "Not-so-Nuclear Families: Class, Gender, and Networks of Care"
*28. Ellen E. Pinderhughes and Brenda Jones Harden, "Beyond the Birth Family: African American Children Reared by Alternative Caregivers"
*29. Katherin M. Flower Kim, "Out of Sorts: Adoption and (Un)Desirable Children"
30. Judith Stacey and Timothy J. Biblarz, "How) Does The Sexual Orientation of Parents Matter?"
31. Annette Lareau, "Invisible Inequality: Social Class and Childrearing in Black Families and White Families"
*32. Allison J. Pugh, "Consumption as Care and Belonging: Economies of Dignity in Children's Daily Lives"
VII. Grandparents and Multigenerational Relationships
33. Lynne M. Casper and Suzanne M. Bianchi, "Grandparenting"
34. Kathleen S. Bahr, "The Strengths of Apache Grandmothers: Observations on Commitment, Culture, and Caretaking"
35. Luisa Margolies, "My Mother's Hip: Lessons from the World of Eldercare"
VIII. Divorce, Remarriage, and Blended Families
*36. Michele Adams and Scott Coltrane, "Framing Divorce Reform: Media, Morality, and the Politics of Family"
*37. Carrie Yodanis, "Divorce Culture and Marital Gender Equality: A Cross-National Study"
*38. Susan Walzer and Thomas P. Oles, "Accounting for Divorce: Gender and Uncoupling Narratives"
39. Mary Ann Mason, "The Modern American Stepfamily: Problems and Possibilities"
40. William Marsiglio, "Overlooked Aspects of Stepfathering"
IX. Families and Violence
41. Kersti A. Yllo, "Through a Feminist Lens: Gender, Diversity, and Violence: Extending the Feminist Framework"
42. Staya P. Krishnan and Malahat Baig-Amin et al., "Lifting the Veil of Secrecy: Domestic Violence Against South Asian Women in the United States"
43. Claire M. Renzetti, "Toward a Better Understanding of Lesbian Battering"
44. Ola Barnett, Cindy L. Miller-Perrin, and Robin D. Perrin, "Abuse of Elders"
X. Families, Work, and Carework
45. Kathleen Gerson and Jerry A. Jacobs, "The Work-Home Crunch"
*46. Pamela Stone and Meg Lovejoy, "Fast Track Women and the 'Choice' to Stay Home"
*47. Joanna Dreby, "Negotiating Work and Parenting over the Life Course: Mexican Family Dynamics in a Binational Context"
*48. Veronica Tichenor, "Gendered Bargain: Why Wives Cannot Trade Their Money for Housework"
49. Christopher Carrington, "No Place Like Home: The Division of Domestic Labor in Lesbigay Families"
*50. Evelyn Nakano Glenn, "Creating a Caring Society"
XI. Families and Poverty
51. Mark Rank, "As American as Apple Pie: Poverty and Welfare"
52. Sharon Hays, "Flat Broke With Children: The Ground Level Results of Welfare Reform"
*53. Kathyrn Edin and Maria Kefalas, "Unmarried with Children"
*54. Lee Rainwater and Timothy M. Smeeding, "Is There Hope for America's Low-Income Children?"